Saturday 4 March 2017

Karen Sykes and Midge (Kingsfarm Spring Surprise HTM A Ex, FS A Ex)

TEAM GB for Heelwork To Music and Freestyle


My first competition and judging appointment was in 2001.  Since then I have continued to compete, judge and teach but never did I imagine back then where this sport would take me.  Thanks to HTM I have travelled the world and made many great friends in the dog world and beyond.
Karen and Midge
I have represented Great Britain previously with 2 of dogs, Fly who won Crufts HTM in 2008 (Iatka Spring Spangle, 1/4/11 – 20/2/16), .....................
Karen and Fly - Winners of Crufts HTM  008
.................  and Erin (Our Irish Second Chance, 1/4/09).  Erin was Team GB Freestyle Reserve in 2013 in The Netherlands and Fly was selected for Team GB in 2011 in Demark, 2013 in The Netherlands and 2014 in Germany.  Sadly her health issues meant that I had to withdraw Fly from the team in 2013 and 2014 which meant that she never had the chance to defend her title of Open European Individual Heelwork to Music Champion which she won in 2011.  I was very proud that along with my team mates, Kath Hardman and Lesley Neville, Great Britain also won the Heelwork to Music Team Championship that year too.  Although unable to compete in 2014 I travelled with Team GB to Germany as Heelwork to Music Team Leader.
Karen and Fly after winning the Open European Individual HTM Championship
Honoured is the word I would use to describe how I feel to have been selected this year by the Kennel Club along with a very strong team.  I am thrilled to be working alongside every one of them and look forward to lots of fun and hard work over the coming months.

Representing Team GB with me is this year is my youngster, Midge (Kingsfarm Spring Surprise) who is a three year old Working Sheepdog.  Midge is the niece of Fly my previous Champion and shows great promise in the competition world.  She is a super companion, very relaxed at home but ready to go at a moment’s notice!  She is at her happiest when training and has continued to contribute to my education in dog training!  
Karen and Midge - Freestyle Routine
Speaking of dog training, I must give credit to Jo Hill who has changed my training methods and understanding of dogs over the past decade or so and continues to do so.  Also, credit must be given to my regular training buddy Annette Lowe who keeps an eye on me on a weekly basis.
Finally personal thanks go my constant companion, Allan.  He has been by my side since 1983 encouraging and supporting me to help me to achieve things that I would never have thought possible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment